Now Hiring - Senior Backend Engineer
December 17, 2021
Who We’re Hiring:
We’re hiring a senior developer who’s interested in focusing on the backend.
Who We Are:
Bryllyant is an innovative software development company that is passionate about solving problems. Our goal is to develop cutting-edge products, be that for our current clients who need banking, blockchain, and data-driven solutions, or for our own apps and APIs we are building for the fintech space and beyond.
Whatever the project, we believe the core of who we are is our culture. We aim to foster an environment that is:
- Innovative - we innovate and take strategic risks when warranted
- Outcome-oriented - we focus on results and believe in professional excellence
- People-oriented - we celebrate and support the individuality of each member of our team
- Team-oriented - we value respect, cooperation and collaboration within every team
Ultimately, we believe if you bring passion and dedication to your work there’s no limit to what you can accomplish.
Why We’re Hiring:
Now that you know who we are, and who we’re hiring, let us tell you why we’re here!
We’re an all-hands-on-deck (or I guess, computer) company. And, with all of our current projects, our hands are getting pretty full. So, in order to continue to serve our current clients, and to push forward with our internal pursuits as well, we’re looking to add another set of hands (and eyes and ears and the rest of you!) to our team.
We believe that bringing on a skilled and ambitious backend engineer will give our company just that little extra oomph we need to keep on keeping on, as well as keep on moving upward and onward with our various cryptocurrency, data-modeling, and API projects for the fintech space.
As some famous person once said, “the time is now!”
What We’re Hiring For (Job Description):
We’re hiring for the role of backend engineer with strong DevOps skills who shares our passion for data, design and automation.
You will be working on a mix of projects that include data modeling, designing and constructing APIs, optimizing SQL queries, developing data pipelines, creating cloud-based infrastructures and automating deployments.
You possess a keen eye for detail and have experience in all stages of software development. This means collaborating on the various layers of an application’s architecture and having great organizational skills that will enable you to oversee a project from conception to delivery.
You are a collaborative team player and can work well with team members across all job functions and seniority levels. You ask questions, are open to feedback and can engage in constructive discussions and debate, and have a willingness to learn and try new approaches.
You are also someone who is able to juggle multiple responsibilities at one time, and capable of seamlessly switching from one project with one group of team members to another project with a different set of teammates on short notice. With our wide mix of projects and deadlines, adaptability is key.
You are comfortable with and efficient at communicating through online messaging tools, like Slack, and using video conferencing tools, like Google Meet.
Lastly, you are constantly striving to improve your own skills, as well as help others improve as well.
Who You’ll Work With:
Have you heard of a horizontal company? Hint: it’s not a company where you have to work while lying down (although I guess you could do that if you wanted to!). No, it means a company that doesn’t have a long hierarchy of one boss reporting to another boss reporting to another… and so on.
That’s who we are. We are a horizontal company that fosters collaboration across all team members and across all levels of seniority.
So, as a backend developer, that means you’ll work directly with the CEO and the CRO and the development team and the design team and everyone in between who keeps this well-oiled machine moving full-speed ahead.
How You’ll Work With Us:
In terms of what it looks like working with us, we wanted to cover a few key points: our location, work hours, benefits, and compensation package.
While our home base is Philadelphia, PA, we are a fully remote team with employees from Arizona to Romania. Despite the time differences, we schedule our meetings and deadlines between the hours of 9am-5pm EST.
Each full-time employee is offered health benefits, and our pay is competitively set based on the job functions you perform, rather than where you live. In addition, each compensation package includes an annual bonus, which will be based on an annual performance review.
The Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or related discipline
- Design and develop back-end architectures that are secure, efficient, fast and scalable
- Design and develop RESTful services and APIs for internal and external consumption
- Integrate and manage internal and external cloud services to support application features
- Design and develop database schemas and manage their migrations over time
- Work with real-time data streams using Redis, ElasticSearch, Kafka, etc.
- Understand and implement security best practices to safeguard data at every layer of the architecture from code to cloud
- Identify performance bottlenecks and come up with novel ways to solve them
- Design and implement continuous integration and deployment processes
- Communicate and present work in a clear and simple manner
- Participate in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code
The Skills You Need:
- 3+ years experience developing backend services
- Solid OOP and software design knowledge to create software that’s extensible, reusable and meets desired architectural objectives
- Solid understanding of SQL and NoSQL database technologies (preferably PostgreSQL)
- Experience creating extensible data models to support current and future business requirements
- Expertise in crafting RESTful APIs and Web Services
- Experience with software security best practices to defensively code against DDOS, SQL injection attacks, etc.
- Experience with core AWS cloud services (e.g. IAM, EC2, VPC, ELB, S3, RDS, Lambda, CloudWatch, etc.)
- Appreciation for clean, tested and well documented code
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
Nice to Have:
- Expertise in architecting highly-available distributed systems
- Experience with Docker containerization and clustering (Kubernetes / ECS)
- Experience implementing CI/CD and building pipelines (e.g. Bitbucket Pipelines, Jenkins, CircleCI, etc.)
- Experience with configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Cloudformation)
- Experience with cloud-based monitoring tools (e.g. Datadog, CloudWatch, Pagerduty, etc.)
What Applying Looks Like:
We believe in transparency. So, we thought it would be helpful to outline exactly what the hiring process looks like, so that you can decide upfront if you believe applying will be worth your time, and ours. Here’s what the process entails:
- Submit your resume.
- Once we review this document, and if we feel you have the necessary skill set for the role, we will schedule an HR interview to get to know you on a more personal level.
- From there, we will send you a code test to assess your technical abilities.
- If that goes well, we will then set up a follow up technical interview with our development team.
- And finally, the last step is a 1-on-1 interview with our CEO.