Trending Now - Should Your Small Business Be On TikTok?
January 26, 2022
TikTok has become more than a fad. Recently surpassing Twitter in its number of active users, the social media platform has quickly become a crucial hub for connecting with potential customers. Could your small business benefit from an investment there?
The reputation that TikTok only appeals to bored members of Gen-Z has become overblown. The platform isn't just for young adults anymore. TikTok's user base is getting bigger and more mature. As a result, more and more businesses have made it part of their marketing strategy.
But should you follow suit? Should you tap into the more than one billion users currently on the TikTok platform? To answer these questions, we'll outline the TikTok basics and shine a light on the benefits it can offer your small business.
Why more businesses are using TikTok
Initially founded in 2016, TikTok is a social media platform that allows users to upload short videos. Content on the platform is under one minute in length. Think of it like a YouTube where every item tracks at fewer than 60 sections.
In the beginning, people largely viewed TikTok as the source of silly clips. Its early reputation centered on pet antics, skateboard fails, and goofy stunts. Yet, the platform has become more than this.
At this point, the TikTok audience also turns to the service for news and information. From workout tips to investment recommendations, you can find content on the platform for any niche.
This dynamic makes it a useful hub to contact potential clients. Whatever your product or service, you can find interested parties on TikTok. Meanwhile, the aesthetics and duration of a typical TikTok video make it an ideal platform for small businesses.
Whatever your product or service, you can find interested parties on TikTok. Meanwhile, the aesthetics and duration of a typical TikTok video make it an ideal platform for small businesses.
Turning to TikTok will:
- Broaden Your Exposure: Posting on the platform will let you tap into a wide user base.
- Let You Keep Up with a Developing Market: Plugging into TikTok now will make sure you don't have to play catch-up later.
- Develop New Types of Content: Grab attention in new ways. The TikTok culture offers a superb venue for experimentation.
- Get Great Exposure at Low Cost: You don't have to invest a massive amount to see results on TikTok. A clever, focused marketing effort can draw the customers you want.
The value of TikTok
In the summer of 2021, TikTok passed the one-billion mark in terms of active global users. With these numbers, TikTok has already moved beyond social-media powerhouses like Twitter, Snapchat and Pinterest.
The billion users in 2021 represented growth of more than 40% from about 700 million users it reported at about the same time in 2020. The figure includes more than 130 million active users in the U.S.
Meanwhile, TikTok boasts high engagement rates, with an average engagement rate of about 18% in the U.S.
Leveraging TikTok for small business
Don't just look at the numbers. It's important to think about TikTok in terms of individual businesses. For instance, Nectar, a small hard-seltzer company, leveraged one viral video into increased sales and a growing following on the social media platform.
For Nectar, the TikTok advantage worked in multiple directions at once. On one front, it allowed the company to expand its brand awareness -- critical for landing new customers. At the same time, its popularity on TikTok became a measurable sign of brand prestige that the company could use to close sales in real life.
According to the details of their experience as reported by Business Insider, Nectar's owners reported that the accumulation of hundreds of thousands of views on TikTok gave it extra negotiating power when it came to making sales to retail locations. It became easier to talk to store owners about stocking their hard seltzer. At locations where they previously had trouble getting a call back, store owners were making orders for 150 boxes of their product.
How to set up TikTok for my business
TikTok has a guide for using the platform to boost your business. You'll find features like data to track the performance of your videos, a guide for creating content and even royalty-free music you can add to your videos.
Here’s a basic outline to get you started:
- Join TikTok
- Create a Business Account
- Begin Generating Content
- Track Performance Using Data Tools
TikTok content and marketing strategy tips
Once you've decided to launch a TikTok campaign, you need to know how to get the most out of it. Matching your strategy to the specific dynamics on the platform will let you get the highest ROI possible. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Consume Other TikTok Content: Review what other companies have done with their TikTok accounts. At the same time, watch the content delivered by the type of users you want to reach. This will inform your style and help you refine your content.
- Have a Plan: Understand how your TikTok strategy plugs into your overall marketing efforts. Make sure your investment feeds directly into a well-organized sales funnel.
- Start Small: If you're nervous about launching your TikTok strategy, remember that it doesn't have to consist of a massive push at first. Begin with a limited investment and expand as you become more confident.
- Partner with Existing Influencers: You don't have to start from scratch. Your best entry into the TikTok space could be through a partnership with a like-minded influencer who has already done the hard work of building an audience.
- Follow the Data: Tweak your TikTok strategy as necessary. Use data to direct your future efforts. This way, you’ll continually discover the most effective message and the most engaging content.
Tweak your TikTok strategy as necessary. Use data to direct your future efforts. This way, you’ll continually discover the most effective message and the most engaging content.
Make TikTok part of your marketing strategy
Looking to level up your marketing efforts? It may be time to explore TikTok.
The social media platform has exploded in popularity in the last few years. It has grown beyond the niche stage to become a major player in online communication. As a result, it provides an excellent launching pad for your small business.
The key is to get the most out of the opportunity. Use the tips and tricks outlined here to get started on a successful TikTok campaign.